Most likely the oldest existing bridge in New Orleans, this iron structure crosses Bayou St. John from Harding Drive (the neighborhood once called Magnolia Gardens) to Cabrini High School.
Built in the late 19th century, when the bayou was still a commercial channel, this structure was made to handle heavy tonnage and originally included a streetcar track. It was a swing bridge, pivoting at its center to allow commercial vessels, barges and houseboats to pass. The turning mechanism was deactivated when the bayou lost its status as a navigable waterway in 1936.
The Magnolia Bridge functioned as a vehicular roadway until the 1970s, at which time balustrades were installed to block traffic. Since that time it has been heavily used by pedestrians, bicyclists, dog walkers and baby strollers, and has provided a beautiful backdrop for weddings, sunset repasts, and neighborhood socializing.
Since 2005 the Louisiana Landmarks Society has announced an annual list of endangered historic treasures called the New Orleans Nine, and in 2011 the Magnolia Bridge was included on this list. Modeled after the National Trust for Historic Preservation’s Most Endangered program, the New Orleans Nine are determined each year by a prestigious panel of preservationists, historians, and community members. Criteria for consideration include the site’s historical, architectural, and cultural value, the severity of the threat facing it, and the degree of community support for saving it. The Magnolia Bridge clearly scored strongly on each of these criteria.
The bridge anchors one of New Orleans’ most iconic street and waterscapes with its proximity to the gleaming dome of Holy Rosary Church (1907), the historically significant barge-board residences, and both the Spanish Customs House (1784) and the Pitot House (1799).
There have been two structural renovations in the 130 years since the bridge was constructed, one in 1936 and the other in 1961. These efforts included repair and replacement of corroded stringers and end-posts, and replacement of deteriorated decking. Details of the scope and design for both of these renovations are archived at the New Orleans Public Library.